Monday, May 27, 2013

Florence

Being that this is our first time in Europe, there were some things we just didn't expect.  Take for instance narrow roadways and toll roads.  We left Varenna via ferry to Bellagio and then drove down the coast on a very narrow road!  There was a tall stone wall on the right and cars coming at us around many of the corners!  The roadway was barely big enough for the both of us and sometimes I wondered how we made it!  Next, we drove onto the autostrade and there was a toll plaza.  I must have picked the wrong lane because the arm was up and there was no way to pay, etc.  Most lanes are automated and so I pushed the button for help, but there was no answer.  Finally, we drove off.  When it came time to exit the autostrade in Verona, there was another toll booth that required a ticket that we never received from the first one.  I pressed the help button and some lady started talking in Italian and I couldn't understand any of what she was saying.  I told her we never received the ticket.   Finally, I put an 10 euro bill in and she said arrividerchi!  I guess she had mercy on us or she just saw the long line of cars piled up behind us!

Anyways, we had a wonderful time in Florence, eating at a little pizzaria in front of the Duomo church, visiting the Accadamia (where the statue of David is) and the Ufizzi Gallery (the first public museum).  We even saw a entertaining mime on the street.  A couple from New York next to us told us the "Grey Mime" is big on youtube.






No comments:

Post a Comment